This website uses cookies to store your accessibility preferences. No personal / identifying information is stored. More info.

Kalkaska Co Sheriff - 150yr Logo

ORV Licensing


Owners of ORV's are required to obtain a title for an ORV through the Secretary of State (SOS).
Exception: nonresident ORV used in Michigan

Owner's of ORV's are required to license their ORV with the Department of Natural Resources (DNR). Resident and nonresident are required to obtain an ORV License and/or Trail Permit when the ORV is used in areas open to the public.

Exception: When the ORV is used exclusively on one's private property or written permission is obtained from the property owner.

ORV License/Trail Permits are valid from April 1 through March 31 of the following year, regardless of the date of purchase. ORV License/Trail Permit can be obtained from most sporting goods stores, ORV dealerships or online from Michigan DNR (MDNR) ELicense.


ORV License FEE: $26.25 - ORV License allows you to operate on eligible county roads, state forest roads in the Upper Peninsula, eligible national forest roads and frozen surfaces of public waters. ORV License DOES NOT allow for operation on PRIVATE PROPERTY without owner’s permission.

ORV Trail Permit FEE: $10.00 - ORV Trail Permit allows you to operate on state-designated and signed ORV trails, routes and scramble areas.

An ORV License and Trail Permit must be permanently attached to the ORV and be visibly displayed in the following manner:

  • On 2-wheeled vehicles are to be centered on the exposed rear fender.
  • On 3 or 4-wheeled (ATV's) on the flat metal surface, bumper or plate permanently attached to the rear of the ORV.
  • Other ORV's including dune buggies and 4WD trucks are to display the ORV Trail Permit centered and visible on the rear of the vehicle.

NOTE: The Secretary of State shall not register or title an all-terrain vehicle for highway or street use.

Vehicles licensed with the Secretary of State (License Plated) require an ORV Trail Permit only when that vehicle is used on designated ORV TRAILS/ROUTES and if used on designated areas for cross-country use (MCCCT TRAILS-Michigan Cross Country Cycle Trail).

Exception: ORV Trail Permit is NOT required for street licensed vehicles used on the frozen surface of public waters.