- All snowmobiles must be registered in Michigan, except:
- Those operated exclusively on lands owned or under the control of the snowmobile owner;
- Those registered in another state; or
- Those operated exclusively in a special event conducted under a permit from a governmental unit.
- A person who desires to operate a snowmobile in this state shall purchase a Michigan snowmobile trail permit sticker. The trail permit stickers shall be permanently affixed to the forward half of the snowmobile directly above or below the headlight of the snowmobile. A snowmobile used solely for transportation on the frozen surface of public water for the purpose of ice fishing is exempt for the requirement of purchasing and displaying the trail permit sticker.
- Note: Snowmobile Trail Permits can be obtained from most sporting good stores, snowmobile dealerships or online from Michigan DNR (MDNR) ELicense. Link to MDNR OnLine Licensing to access MDNR eLicense.
- The owner of a snowmobile having been issued a certificate of registration for a snowmobile shall affix to each side of the forward half of the cowl above the footwell of the snowmobile, the registration decal assigned to that snowmobile. Beginning July 1, 2000 the registration decal will include the registration expiration date and a registration number which will contain 2 letters and 4 numbers.
- The operator of a snowmobile is required to carry the registration certificate for the snowmobile when operating the snowmobile. This registration certificate must be presented to a law enforcement officer, upon request.